1894 “Memorial Library” at the Peerless Manufacturing Co. When Nellie Smith, aged 20, dies while employed at the company as an ironer, money is collected for a floral remembrance. So much is received that there is enough left to purchase 300 books and establish a library at Peerless.
1895 The town elects five Library Trustees to apply to the State Board of Library Commissioners for assistance in obtaining books, as authorized under a new statute, for towns that establish libraries. Town meeting also appropriates $50 for maintenance of a free public library.
1896 Town is awarded $100 by the State of Vermont to start a library.
1898 $200 appropriated for the library by the Town of Barton. 300 books are purchased. The library is located in the first of many temporary locations at the Barton Village Office, Office of Town Clerk, L.M. Hubbard, who also is appointed as the first Librarian.
1899 Woman’s Literary Club founded with moYo: “Push Forward”, Club Flower: “Purple Violet”, Club Colors: “Violet and White”. Ida Cutler is its first president. The Club commences various fundraising activities to supplement Town and Village appropriations.
1904 Dewy Decimal classification system introduced at the Library.
1913 Woman’s Literary Club establishes the Library Building Fund.
1914 Woman’s Literary Club incorporated for the purpose of maintain a Free Public Library.
1919 $8,000 bequest received from the Estate of Josiah Webster.
1923 Lawyer and historian Frederick W. Baldwin bequeaths his extensive collection to the Library.
1924 With the Peerless Manufacturing Company closing, the library collection at Peerless is donated to the Barton Public Library.
1927 Charles Hamblet offers the Literary Club a building lot on the condition that a Library be built with a year. Work commences in October.
1928 The Barton Public Library building is dedicated with 2,500 books in the collection.
1929 $2,376 bequest received from Clara Loomis.
1940s $10,000 received from the Baldwin Trust.
1968 $10,000 received from the Redfield Trust.
1984 The Children’s Room addition is built. Construction funded by individual gifts and matching grant from the State of Vermont.
1993 Children’s Room dedicated to former Librarian Jan Stryker Elliot. The Library receives an anonymous donation of $12,000.
1996 Marie Browning Haskins leaves a bequest of $75,000 in memory of her grandparents, Annie and Josiah Pearson.